What we did in Grand Rapids:
Ate at Marie Catrib’s: It was good, but not outstanding. Excellent homemade sausage and rye toast though. Homemade sausage may be in my future.
Wandered around Eastown: Argos rocked, Redux sucked, and I somehow misplaced Mulligans.
Hit up Purple East: When did it get so…unlike what I remember Purple East to be like?
Wandered around downtown: The Schuler is pathetically small, Scavenger hunt was pathetically overpriced, but Vertigo came through with a decently priced LP of Summer in the Southeast. Plus the plethora of homeless guys hanging out on Division were just cool.
Went to Brick Road Pizza Co for lunch: Daaaaaang. Vegan Philly Cheesesteak sammidge, vegan mac and cheese, and a piping hot vegan chocolate chip cookie. Super cool atmosphere and super cool staff.
Wandered into Literary Life bookstore: say whaaaaat?! There’s a bookstore out there that stocks just the books Erin wants to read?! I might have bought some David Foster Wallace. Maybe.
Stopped in at The Art of the Table: was underwhelmed until I found 3 different kinds of cheese from the Cowgirl Creamery. Is $25 too much spend on that, Kevin?
Ended at Founders: Yum. Just. Yum.
The best part was wandering around the city on foot for the most part despite the cold temperatures. GR is small. It’s smaller than it seems when one is in a car. I really think GR is poised for…something. There are all of these really old empty storefronts just waiting for thrift stores and coffee shops and restaurants and bookstores and galleries and the like. I only wish I could get a job there as I’d move in a heartbeat. I love Holland, but GR has this incredible potential and a pretty cool unique small neighborhoods thing one could compare to Chicago. I got all excited about it until Peter reminded me that it would probably cease to be cool once it got all cool and he’s probably right. Still there are good things happening there. And I aim to spend more time doing those good things.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
(this is metal)
i think grand rapids will actually find you a job and give you a free place to live if the powers that be find out you said such nice things about the place.
Actually, $25 is about what everyone charges - it's still a lot of money for cheese, though. I miss being right around the corner from art of the table. I have many great memories of walking there to buy beer on summer afternoons and drinking outside the cherry hill apartment... I need to stop thinking about this
Last night we had our last film in the Sustainability series and I talked to a guy about how desperately we need light rail services from GR to Holland. I love Holland, but GR? GR is where I should be living. And it is on the cusp of greatness. Made me all kinds of interested in urban planning...
There is a very reasonably priced for sale in GR that I know of...
Post a Comment