Sunday, December 9, 2012

blindsided

August 3, 2010 I did something I had never done before. I voted in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Michigan had just had 8 years of Democrat Jennifer Granhom (who inherited a mess, I might add) and in addition to it being unlikely a Democrat would win, I was wildly underwhelmed by either of the Democrat options.

The Republican field had 5 options most of whom were campaigning on a typical traditional family values, right-to-work, religious right platform.

But there was one man who caught my interest. Rick Snyder, who dubbed himself "one tough nerd," would not talk about abortion or right-to-work, or gay rights. He campaigned on getting Michigan back on its feet economically. He talked about revitalizing our once great state. He talked about wanting to stop the bleeding out of young, creative talent from leaving Michigan.

I was charmed. This was a Republican I could respect. Here was a man who openly said he wouldn't take on traditionally conservative social issues because they were too divisive and distracting to what was important: getting Michigan back on track.

I voted for him in the primary. And I celebrated when he not only secured the nomination, but also 3 months later when he defeated the meh and boringly typical pro-union, old school thinking Democrat candidate. I'm now ashamed to admit I voted for the Democrat in the general election. I didn't like him. I didn't trust him. But damn it, he was a Democrat and I couldn't vote Republican.

Over the past 2 years, I have grown to respect Governor Snyder. I have openly supported him much to the dismay of many friends and family members. I defended the Emergency Management law of his crafting despite its obvious anti-democracy implications of taking away control from local governments and school systems in favor of state control for failing cities (and if you think you know what a failing city is, come to Michigan and visit Benton Harbor, Flint, or Detroit. You have no idea how bad it is out here). I even followed his logic this fall and voted against all the state proposals on our ballot including an amendment that would have made it impossible for Michigan to become a Right-to-Work state.

I have spent many an hour discussing my optimism of the Republican Party if more candidates would follow Governor Snyder's lead by staying away from divisive social issues in favor of focusing on fiscally conservative ideas. I have dared to dream that he have a shot at the national stage.

This all came to an end Thursday when after months of saying he would not support Right-to-Work legislation, he reversed his position during the lame duck legislative session.

Shock, embarrassment, disappointment. That pretty much sums up how I've been feeling since Thursday. I feel duped. I feel like a fool for trusting him.

And you know what? It's not even about the actual legislation.

It's how he did it. It's cowardly and even more divisive to shove this kind of legislation through during a lame duck session especially since it most likely would not have passed in January. It's an example of the worst kind of politics. It demonstrates the one thing I try so hard to convince apathetic voters is not true: your voice doesn't matter.

To be clear: both parties are guilty of this sort of behavior. Both parties disenfranchise the electorate when they push laws through during lame duck sessions. It's disrespectful to the very people they are supposed to be serving and demonstrates the worst aspects of our political system.

I suppose I should thank Governor Snyder for reminding me that political partisanship is still alive and well.  I suppose I should thank him for reminding me that politics is and always will be about power. I suppose I should thank him for reminding me never ever ever to trust a politician.

Instead, I look ahead to the rest of the lame duck session in fear. There are sweeping anti-abortion bills on the table and a horrifying education bill to be discussed before the end of the year.

He has the opportunity to maintain a shred of integrity in the eyes of a lifetime Democrat who publicly and repeatedly supported what she believed was a glimmer of hope in the Republican Party.

Your move, Governor Snyder.

No comments: