Tuesday, January 20, 2009

obamamania

So we’re here.

Big day. Biiig, biiiig, day.

I’m at work wishing I’d taken the day off mostly because I’ll be watching the speech live in the auditorium during my lunch break with fellow staff members and weeping will happen. I actually just got a little choked up writing that sentence.

What a country. What a country.

In non-Obama related news, I done made bread this weekend. And this t’weren’t no bread machine bread. My first attempt at proofing yeast was unsuccessful so I busted out the candy thermometer and it was smooth sailing from there. It was an ordinary old white bread (though my BFF claims it was awfully close to the salt bread from the now defunct Journeyman-I disagreed, but was secretly proud of the compliment) and I’m now looking to tackle some whole grain goodness. And pizza dough. May I never purchase another frozen pizza (though the Archer Farms spinach and goat cheese pizza is yummy as are Kashi pizzas) AGAIN.

In crafty news, I’ve been commissioned to make some leg warmers for a coworker. I’ve cut out squares to start practicing embroidery stitches in preparation for Baby Neal’s quilt. I’m going to get over my fear of double pointed needles and teach myself how to knit socks. And a trip to Fields is in order as I need to whip up some sundresses for my Oaxaca trip.

Speaking of, I go to Oaxaca in five weeks! I’m starting to maybe get a little nervous about the whole scorpions in my shoes thing. But the mezcal and the moles and the chocolate and pottery and the turtles and the beaches and the textiles and the ruins and the fresh seafood sound so fabulous I’ll just deal with the scorpions. Plus it’ll be my first time in the Pacific Ocean. And my first time snorkeling. And my first time in Mexico.
I have the single best traveling companion in Molly as she not only speaks Spanish fluently; she also is a savvy traveler. There will be pictures. Lots and lots of pictures.

Tonight: Shadetree’s bday party/Inauguration celebration.
Tomorrow night: LOST
Thursday night: drinks with the BFF
Friday night: nada
Saturday night: Melissa, Reuben, and Neal
Sunday: First day off together with Peter since VT

No comments: