I've been sick for over a week. As I woke up this morning craving coffee for the first time since getting sick, I think the worst is over. My head is still full of nasty and I occasionally have coughing fits that are tear-inducing (always when I'm on a service desk at work, naturally), but I want coffee so I must be on the mend.
I have a number of very close friends who are currently going through some pretty major emotional stuff. Family members who are actively dying in nursing facilities that are atrocious, potentially terrifying financial distress that could be crippling, health news that while not life-threatening is life-altering. While I do go through periods of helplessness and absolute rage over each of their circumstances, I feel so incredibly blessed to have them in my life. Each of them has expressed gratitude to me for being a person who they can call and say anything to because I'm not judgmental (hilarious, really, given that my motto used to be "Some people do arts and crafts, I judge people) or someone who can give them that little jolt of perspective reminding them their lives are not over and that no matter what the future brings I will always be there for them.
While I appreciate their kind words, I honestly don't know if they all realize how I love them all fiercely. And how every one of them has been there for me so many times in the past and I know will be there for me when I am faced with any future terrifying challenges.
I spend a lot of time missing my Vermont family. These people all remind me that I have done what my parents did.
I have created my own family here.
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment